Don't leave the candidates hanging!
If you think it's a good idea to ignore a rejected candidate, think twice. There are so many reasons why you should never do that but we'll give you two:
- It will give your company brand a bad name.
- It will affect your company's candidate experience.
In this article, we are providing you with 7 candidate rejection email templates for you to build and maintain a relationship with your applicants. After all, you might need them in the future!
1. Overqualified Candidates Rejection Email
Who would not want a very qualified candidate? After all, they surpass your expectations. But that's the issue, they are more qualified for more senior positions. You would not want them for entry-level positions as they are too skilled, experienced and knowledgeable for it,
In your rejection email, express your interest to stay in touch for future job opportunities with your company. Don't forget these 3 things:
- Do not discriminate. If you're rejecting a candidate, stay with job-related reasons. Don't use phrases such as "We are looking for a younger candidate" or "We think a less-experienced candidate would be more suitable for this job". Instead, use phrases such as "While we were impressed with your skills, we are looking for someone who has experience using X software."
- Honesty above all. Don't give candidates false hopes. Don't promise them that you'll reach out soon for more suitable opportunities if you're only going to offer an entry-level job.
- Personalise your email. Don't say "The competition for this role was tough", they'll know you're using a copy-paste excuse and it doesn't apply to overqualified candidates. You can use the template such as below:
2. Post-Interview Rejection Email
You can use this generic rejection email template for candidates you have interviewed. You can repurpose the template to include specific reasons for a candidate's rejection, or potential next steps.
Keep in mind to keep it short and clear about the rejection when sending an email.
3. Email for Candidates Who Didn't Qualify for the Interview
You can use this template to reach out to applicants who seek employment that will not be receiving an interview or moving to the second stage of the hiring process.
You can reuse it to address particular issues with a candidate's resume, or as a general resume rejection email after an interview for all disqualified candidates. Ensure that the rejection is clear, concise and positive.
We also have more templates for you:
If you wish to download all the templates, click the link below
Need to Fill in Many Vacancies, Fast? We'll solve your hiring in just 2 days. Register at AJobThing.com to schedule your free consultation.